When this error occurs, 1100931 is displayed in the lower-right corner of the error message dialog box after you press Ctrl+Shift+I.
Note To view the full range of error messages for this situation, see the What is the complete error message? section.
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the Fix it for me section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the Let me fix it myself section.
Fix it for meTo fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myselfTo manually fix this problem, you have to add the PromptForBadFiles subkey to your computer's registry. The registry key under which you'll add this subkey depends on the version of Publisher that you're running:
- Publisher 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Publisher
- Publisher 2003: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Publisher
- Publisher 2002: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Publisher
- Publisher 2000: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Publisher
Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
What is the complete error message?In Publisher 2007, you receive the following error message:
Publisher has detected a problem in the file you are trying to open. To protect your computer, Publisher will not open the file.
In Publisher 2002 and Publisher 2003, you receive the following error message:
Publisher cannot open the file.
In Publisher 2000, you receive the follow error message:
Publisher cannot open this file. This is not a Publisher file.
Why did this problem occur?This problem occurs in Publisher 2007 when you try to open a publication that seems to be damaged, that is altered in a malicious way, or that contains unexpected data.
This problem occurs in Publisher 2000, Publisher 2002, and Publisher 2003 if the following conditions are true: