When you install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2) Community Technology Preview (CTP), you receive the following error message:
An installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server Native Client cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli.msi'This problem may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
- The SQL Server Native Client Software Development Kit (SDK) component was not installed when you installed the original release version of SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.
- You uninstalled the SQL Server Native Client SDK component after you installed the original release version of SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.
This problem occurs because SQL Server Setup must access the installation files of the SQL Server Native Client SDK component. However, these files were not installed or were deleted.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Start to install the original release version of SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.
- Follow the SQL Server 2005 Installation Wizard to the Feature Selection page.
- On the Feature Selection page, click Database Services, and then click Entire feature will be unavailable.
- On the Feature Selection page, expand Client Components, click Software Development Kit, click Will be installed on local hard drive, and then click Next.
- Finish the SQL Server 2005 Installation Wizard.
- Install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 CTP.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 929667 - Last Review: Jun 13, 2008 - Revision: 1