- Log on to the computer as an administrator or by using an account that has administrative permissions.
- Start Registry Editor. To do this, click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- Click Continue.
- Locate and then click the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
- In the right pane, right-click Userinit, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type hard_disk:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe, and then click OK.
Note The hard_disk placeholder refers to the disk on which Windows Vista is installed.
- Close Registry Editor.
Article ID: 929825 - Last Review: Jun 21, 2014 - Revision: 1