To schedule a database backup operation by using SQL Server Management Studio in SQL Server 2005, follow these steps:
- Start SQL Server Management Studio.
- In the Connect to Server dialog box, click the appropriate values in the Server type list, in the Server name list, and in the Authentication list.
- Click Connect.
- In Object Explorer, expand Databases.
- Right-click the database that you want to back up, click Tasks, and then click Back Up.
- In the Back Up Database - DatabaseName dialog box, type the name of the backup set in the Name box, and then click Add under Destination.
- In the Select Backup Destination dialog box, type a path and a file name in the Destinations on disk box, and then click OK.
- In the Script list, click Script Action to Job.
- In the New Job dialog box, click Steps under Select a page, and then click Edit if you want to change the job parameters.
Note In the Job Step Properties - 1 dialog box, you can see the backup command.
- Under Select a page, click Schedules, and then click New.
- In the New Job Schedule dialog box, type the job name in the Name box, specify the job schedule, and then click OK.
Note If you want to configure alerts or notifications, you can click Alerts or Notifications under Select a page.
- Click OK two times.
You receive the following message:
To verify the backup job, expand SQL Server Agent
, and then expand Jobs
. When you do this, the SQL Server Agent service must be running.