To move Internet Explorer favorites from the earlier version of Windows to the Internet Explorer Favorites folder in Windows Vista, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Internet Explorer.
- Press ALT+C to display the Favorites Center, click Favorites, and then click the left arrow icon to pin the Favorites Center.
- Click Start, type %systemdrive%\Windows.old in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
Note In this step, %systemdrive% is a placeholder for the drive where you installed Windows Vista. Typically, Windows Vista is installed on drive C.
- Double-click Documents and Settings, double-click the User_Name folder, and then double-click Favorites.
Note In this step, User_Name is a placeholder for the user account name that you used to log on to the computer.
- Use a drag-and-drop operation to move all files from the Favorites folder to the Internet Explorer Favorites area that you pinned in step 2.
- After you finish moving all files, click the x button in the Favorites Center in Internet Explorer to close the Favorites Center.
Article ID: 933210 - Last Review: Jul 8, 2009 - Revision: 1