- You are using a Windows Vista-based computer.
- You have Aero Glass disabled, or the video card does not support this mode.
- You are playing a video in Microsoft Windows Media Player.
- You are playing the video in full-screen mode.
- You right-click the full-screen video to display a shortcut menu.
Method 1: Use Registry EditorImportant This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. In the File Download dialog box, click Run and then follow the steps in the Fix it Wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myself
- Open Registry Editor.
- Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type DXEM_UpdateFrequency, and then press ENTER.
- On the Edit menu, click Modify.
- Type 2, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support.
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me" blog or send us an email message.
Method 2: Disable the “Show shadows under menus” option
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization, click Personalization, click Window Color and Appearance, click Open classic appearance properties for more color options, and then click Effects.
- Click to clear the Show shadows under menus option.
Article ID: 939206 - Last Review: Jun 21, 2014 - Revision: 1