Microsoft released Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update Community Technology Preview (CTP) for only English versions of Visual SourceSafe 2005.
This article lists the bugs that are fixed in the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update CTP.
Important notes about the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update CTPThis CTP is a prerelease version of the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update. The fixes in this CTP include enhancements in the following areas:
- Data integrity
- You can install this CTP before you install Visual Studio or after you install Visual Studio.
- We recommend that you install this CTP before you use Visual SourceSafe integration in Visual Studio 2008.
- If you install Visual Studio 2008, you must reregister the Tdnamespaceextension.dll file.
- This CTP is compatible with Visual Studio 2008 Beta 1 and with later versions of Visual Studio 2008.
- You must uninstall this CTP before you install the final update release.
How to obtain the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update CTPThe following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the VS80-KB939808-X86-ENU.exe package now.
Release Date: July 31, 2007
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
The following information applies to this CTP:
- Family name: Visual SourceSafe 2005 CTP
- Family ID: faf41edd-924d-449f-aefc-9c86dd499720
- Languages: English - United States
The bugs that are fixed in the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update CTPFor more information about the bugs that are fixed in this CTP, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
|Knowledge Base article number||Title|
|916688||FIX: Error message when you try to use the Visual SourceSafe 2005 LAN booster service together with Visual Studio 2005 on a server that is running Windows 2000: "Unable to use SourceSafe LAN service"|
|917491||FIX: The Analyze.exe utility may incorrectly remove files and projects in Visual SourceSafe 2005 when you run the utility by using the – d switch|
|925234||FIX: When you check out and then try to open a PDF file, the file may not open if the file was checked in by using Visual SourceSafe 2005|
|927004||FIX: After you perform a merge operation on a file in Visual SourceSafe 2005, only three accounts can access the merged file|
|923842||FIX: Error message in the Analyze.log file when you run the Analyze.exe utility in Visual SourceSafe 2005: "The file 0\DATA\\ is not a valid SourceSafe physical database file"|
|923434||FIX: The PDF file becomes corrupted after you check in the PDF file in Visual SourceSafe 2005|
|924702||FIX: You cannot compare the latest version of a file to any earlier versions of that file after you change the file type to the UTF8 file type in Visual SourceSafe 2005|
|925275||FIX: When you generate a report to show the history of a source file, Visual SourceSafe 2005 may stop unexpectedly|
|928392||FIX: Error message when you try to check in a file that has a comment template and the comment template has more than three lines in Visual SourceSafe 6.0: "Error reading from file"|
|927887||FIX: Error message when you use the Get Latest Version option in Visual SourceSafe 2005 to try to obtain the latest version of an XML file: "SourceSafe was unable to finish writing a file"|
|930573||FIX: Visual SourceSafe 2005 may stop responding when you generate a report in the "Show History" dialog box|
|932058||FIX: Error message when you try to set the value of the IVSSItem.AutoDetectEncoding property to "false" if the item is checked out in Visual SourceSafe 2005: "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004D67F)"|
|934723||FIX: You may receive an error message when you try to use the Get command to retrieve a specific version of a file from the history in Visual SourceSafe 2005 |
|932874||FIX: Visual SourceSafe 2005 may stop responding (hang) when you check in a large binary file|
|938607||FIX: Error message when you try to add files to a Visual SourceSafe 2005 database or when you try to retrieve files from a Visual SourceSafe 2005 database by using Web access through HTTP: "Operation timed out"|
Information about the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update CTP
Supported operating systemsThis CTP is supported on the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (WOW)
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition (WOW)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition (WOW)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition (WOW)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition Service Pack 1 (WOW)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition Service Pack 1 (WOW)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Datacenter x64 Edition Service Pack 1 (WOW)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 4
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server Service Pack 4
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server Service Pack 4
Installation issuesWhen you install this CTP, the following issues may occur:
- You may receive error messages when you use Visual Studio 2008. This problem occurs because some compatibility fixes require the Tdnamespaceextension.dll file to be reregistered after you install Visual Studio 2008. To reregister the Tdnamespaceextension.dll file, type the following command at the command prompt: regsvr32 "%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual SourceSafe\tdnamespaceextension.dll"
- To install this CTP on a computer that is running Windows Vista, you must have elevated permissions. To grant elevated permissions for the installation, use one of the following techniques:
- Right-click the executable file, and then click Run as administrator.
- Run the executable file from an elevated command prompt.
- This CTP appears as follows: Update for Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 2005 - ENU (KB939808)
PrerequisitesYou must have Visual SourceSafe 2005 installed to install this CTP.
Restart requirementYou do not have to restart the computer after you install this CTP.
File informationThe English version of this CTP has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
For more information about the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update CTP, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=faf41edd-924d-449f-aefc-9c86dd499720&displaylang=enFor more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 939808 - Last Review: Mar 12, 2009 - Revision: 1