- When you perform a backup operation by using the NTBackup tool, the following event is logged in the Application log:
Note If you view the backup log file, the following information is displayed:Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:0xffffffff
- If you access the properties of a volume and then click
Shadow Copies, you receive one of the following error messages:Error 0x8004230F: The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation.Error 0x80004002: No such interface supported
- One of the following events is logged in the Application log:
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. In the File Download dialog box, click Run and then follow the steps in the Fix it Wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myself
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
- cd /d %windir%\system32
- Net stop vss
- Net stop swprv
- regsvr32 ole32.dll
- regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
- vssvc /register
- regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
- regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
- regsvr32 es.dll
- regsvr32 stdprov.dll
- regsvr32 vssui.dll
- regsvr32 msxml.dll
- regsvr32 msxml3.dll
- regsvr32 msxml4.dll
- Perform a backup operation to verify that the issue is resolved.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support.
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me" blog or send us an email message.
Steps to reproduce this issue
- Type the following command at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type the command. regsvr32 /u swprv.dll
- Try to perform a backup operation.
Article ID: 940032 - Last Review: Mar 21, 2011 - Revision: 1