When you browse a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 site collection, you cannot access the site collection as expected. Instead, you receive an HTTP 404 error message. Additionally, you experience the following symptoms:
- The following error message is logged in the Application log on the server that is running SharePoint Services 3.0: Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: Topology
Event ID: 6800
The database WSS_Content on computer_name\Microsoft##SSEE is not accessible to missing Windows Internal Database signatures.
- You receive an error message in the upgrade log that resembles the following: [SPServerSequence] [DEBUG] [date time]: Web service Instance SPWebServiceInstance Parent=SPServer Name=computer_name not added. Status = Provisioning
Access to the table dbo.sites is blocked because the signature is not valid.
Access to module dbo.proc_GetCurrent is blocked because the signature is not valid.This problem occurs after a hotfix package or a public update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 is applied.
This problem occurs if the SPWebService service has not been fully provisioned.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Change to the following directory: system drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BinNote The system drive placeholder represents the drive on which Windows is installed.
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER to stop the SPWebService service: stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype spwebservice -servicename ""
- After the SPWebService service has stopped, type the following command, and then press ENTER to start the SPWebService service: stsadm -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype spwebservice -servicename ""
- After the SPWebService service is started, type the following command to complete the hotfix process or the update process: psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force
Article ID: 944154 - Last Review: Oct 31, 2007 - Revision: 1