This update includes two main categories of fixes:
- Previously unreleased fixes that were made specifically for this service pack.
- In addition to general product fixes, this includes improvements in stability, in performance, and in security.
- All the public updates, security updates, cumulative updates, and hotfixes that were released through February 2009.
deploy software updates for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
Overview of Service Pack 2 improvementsSome big areas of the improvements that the Windows SharePoint Services team wanted to highlight:
- Faster, more reliable content migration and data backup and restore
- Reduced memory consumption
- Smoother upgrade experience
- Significant database performance adjustments
- Updated integration for forms authentication
- Advanced permission management
- Helpful administrative tools
- Expanded browser compatibility
How to obtain and install the service packsThis service pack update is available on the Microsoft Download Center. To download the service pack, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Service Pack 2 (x86)
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Service Pack 2 (x64)
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Language Pack Service Pack 2 (x86)
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Language Pack Service Pack 2 (x64)
For a complete list of all SP2 packages that were released, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
Downloadable list of issues that the service pack fixesA workbook is available that lists the issues that are fixed by this service pack.
Download the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Service Pack 2 Changes.xlsx package now.
Note The workbook is in the English language. The workbook will not be translated into any other languages.