This problem may occur when an antivirus application is still running during the installation of Windows XP SP3.
When this problem occurs, certain applications, such as Device Manager and Network Connections, may be unable to enumerate the device or connection instances. These applications will report a blank status, even though devices and connections still function as expected.
Note You may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.
- Restart the computer in safe mode. To restart the computer in safe mode, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
- In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, select Restart in the What do you want the computer to do list, and then click OK.
- After the computer restarts but before Windows XP starts, press F8.
- Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode option, and then press ENTER.
- Click Start, and then click
- Type regedit in the
Open box, and then press ENTER.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
- On the Edit menu, click
- In the Find what box, type the following text: $%&'()*+
- Click Find Next.
- Right-click the registry subkey that begins with "$%&'()*+," and then click Delete.
- Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
- Press F3 to search for the next registry subkey.
- Repeat steps 7 through 8 to delete each registry subkey that contains the text "$%&'()*+."
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Restart the computer.
Article ID: 953791 - Last Review: May 27, 2009 - Revision: 1