- Home users:
Skip the details: Download the updates for your home computer or laptop from the Microsoft Update Web site now:
- IT professionals:
How to obtain help and support for this security update
Help installing updates:
Support for Microsoft Update
Security solutions for IT professionals:
TechNet Security Troubleshooting and Support
Help protect your computer that is running Windows from viruses and malware:
Virus Solution and Security Center
Local support according to your country:
Known issues with this security update
When you install this security update on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, you may have to restart the computer two times to complete the installation. This issue may occur if you install an XML Core Services 4.0–based update together with an update that contains inbox drivers. For example, the following updates contain inbox drivers:956697 Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V VSS writer is not used during a backup job because of corrupted or invalid virtual machine configuration files938371 A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation components
This issue occurs because Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI)-based installations will not continue while inbox drivers are updating. This is because inbox drivers set the "impactful transaction" flag and the "reboot required" flag at the servicing stack level for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. Therefore, the update for XML Core Services 4.0 will fail during installation if an update that contains an inbox driver is applied first. After the inbox driver has installed, and then the computer is restarted, the installation of security update for XML Core Services 4.0 will succeed. However, an additional restart is required to complete the installation.
To avoid this issue, install the security update for XML Core Services 4.0 before you install the update that contains inbox drivers.
- This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is corrupted or if it has not been updated correctly.
For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:941729 Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows Update
- After you install security update 954430, certain application compatibility issues and reliability issues may occur in Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 SP2 on a Windows Vista-based computer. To resolve these issues, install the update that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 941833.
For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:941833 An update is available that improves the compatibility and the reliability of Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 on a Windows Vista-based computerAn update is available that improves the compatibility and the reliability of Microsoft XML Core Service 4.0 Service Pack 2 on a Windows Vista-based computer
- The following security updates do not support the complete removal of MSXML 4.0:
- Security update 954430 for Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0
- Security update 936181 for Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0
- Security update 936181 for MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Security update 936181 for MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Remove security update 954430 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel.
- Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
- Repair the previous installation of MSXML 4.0 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel.
- You may receive the following error message when you install security update 954430 from Windows Update:Could not register type library for file c:\Windows\system32\msxml4.dll. Contact your support personnel.When this error occurs, you may also notice information that resembles the following in the log file:Error 1911. Could not register type library for file c:\Windows\system32\msxml4.dll. Contact your support personnel.To work around this problem, manually install the security update from the Microsoft Download Center, and then click Ignore when the error message is displayed. To confirm that the installation was successful, verify that the version of the Msxml4.dll file in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder is 4.20.9870.0.
MSI (s) (20:18) [17:52:31:612]: Product: MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) -- Error 1911. Could not register type library for file c:\Windows\system32\msxml4.dll. Contact your support personnel.
=== Logging stopped: 11/10/2006 17:53:07 ===
MSI (c) (34:20) [17:53:07:252]: Note: 1: 1708
MSI (c) (34:20) [17:53:07:260]: Product: MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) -- Installation failed.
MSI (c) (34:20) [17:53:07:267]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430). Product Version: 4.20.9839.0. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603.
MSI (c) (34:20) [17:53:07:313]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (34:20) [17:53:07:319]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist MSI (c) (34:20) [17:53:07:331]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
=== Verbose logging stopped: 11/10/2006 17:53:07 ===
File informationThe English (United States) version of this security update has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
Article ID: 954430 - Last Review: May 9, 2012 - Revision: 1