When you try to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008, you may receive the following error message:
Cannot install this version of the product. You must first remove any earlier versions of Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0 before you can install this version. Please click OK to close the Setup Wizard. Next open the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel, uninstall any versions of the Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0, and run the Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0 setup again.Additionally, you may receive the following error message:
Unable to get installer types in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PSProvider.dll assembly.
This problem may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
- Windows PowerShell is not installed.
- The Windows PowerShell installation is corrupted.
- The Cryptographic Services service is not started.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- Install Windows PowerShell.
- Start the Cryptographic Services service if it is not started. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click Cryptographic Services, and then click Start.
- Try to install SQL Server 2008.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about the installation packages for Windows PowerShell 1.0, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
926139 Windows PowerShell 1.0 English Language Installation Packages for Windows Server 2003 and for Windows XP
928439 Windows PowerShell 1.0 Installation Package for Windows Vista
For more information about Windows PowerShell, visit the following Microsoft TechNet Web site:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/add493f5-e54b-4033-a6a0-567900d787211033.mspxFor more information about the frequently asked questions about Windows PowerShell, visit the following Windows Server 2008 Web site: