- You restore a database backup from Microsoft SQL Server 2000 on an instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 by using the WITH RECOVERY option. You also restore this database backup on another instance of SQL Server 2005 by using the WITH NORECOVERY option.
- You have two instances of SQL Server 2000 that have a database that is the same on these instances. One instance has the database in the Loading status. The other instance has the database in the regular status. Then, you upgrade these instances to SQL Server 2005.
You usually encounter this problem when you upgrade a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 log shipping configuration. Consider the following scenario:
- You have a SQL Server 2000 log shipping configuration.
- You upgrade the servers that are involved in the log shipping configuration to SQL Server 2005.
- After the upgrade, you configure database mirroring by using the database that is used previously in the log shipping configuration.
In the upgrade scenario of a SQL Server 2000 log shipping configuration, the secondary database is in the Loading status. After you upgrade the server that holds the secondary database, the database does not have a Service Broker ID. After you upgrade the server that holds the primary database, the database has a Service Broker ID. When you start database mirroring, the Service Broker ID of the principal server is sent to the mirror server for comparison. Because the Service Broker ID of the mirror server is NULL, the comparison fails.
Service pack informationTo resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for SQL Server 2005. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Important After you install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3, enable trace flag 8446 on the mirror server before you start database mirroring. After you have started database mirroring, you can safely remove this trace flag. For more information about how to enable a trace flag, visit the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
- Perform a full database backup and log backup on the principal server.
- Restore the database backup and the log backup on the mirror server by using the WITH NORECOVERY option.
- Configure database mirroring on the database.
- Start database mirroring.
Article ID: 959008 - Last Review: Dec 15, 2008 - Revision: 1