When you try to run the Group Policy Management Console's (GMPC) Group Policy Results against the security server in a Windows Essential Business Server 2008 environment, the GPMC does not connect to the security server. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
RPC server unavailable
This problem occurs because the Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway on the security server is configured to use strict remote procedure call (RPC) checking. This is by default.
To enable the GPMC Group Policy Results to run, follow these steps:
- Open the Forefront Threat Management Gateway console on either the management server or on the security server.
- Right-click Firewall Policy, select New, and then click Access Rule.
- Create an access rule with the following properties:
- Name: Allow GMPC
- Rule action: Allow
- This rule applies to: Selected protocols
- Protocols: RPC (all interfaces)
- This rule applies to traffic from these sources: Management Server
- This rule applies to traffic sent to these destinations: Localhost
- Right-click the rule that you created in step 3, and then select Configure RPC.
- Clear the Enforce strict RPC compliance check box.
- Move the rule to the top of the list of firewall rules.
- Wait for the rule to be applied, and then rerun the GPMC.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 960260 - Last Review: Nov 25, 2008 - Revision: 1