The following are improvements that are included in the Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 update: :
- Windows 7 compatibility is supported. You can now access Windows Home Server from Windows 7 libraries on a computer that is running Windows 7. This update supports the power settings for a Windows 7 client computer. Specifically, the computer can now be turned on and off according to backup schedules.
- New capabilities in Windows Search 4.0 increase the efficiency of searching the content on a home server.
- Windows Home Server backup is more reliable. This update fixes an issue that occurs when you restore a backup file. This process can now progress past 81 percent or 97 percent completion
- You can now archive and transcode TV recorded from Windows Media Center to a home server. You can view information about the home server from a Windows Media Center computer. This information includes storage space, drives, and backup status
- Compatibility is increased between home computers that use low resolution displays (1024 x 600) and the home server.
- You can now connect a home computer to a home server even if your Internet service provider uses OpenDNS as its DNS solution.
- You can now recover a home server by using Power Pack 2 Server Recovery DVD that is provided by your OEM provider.
How to obtain this updateWindows Home Server Power Pack 3 is now available through Windows Update. The update will automatically be downloaded to Windows Home Server through Windows Update if the Automatic Updates feature is enabled on a home server. Or, you can click Update Now on the Settings tab of the Windows Home Server Console.
How to obtain the release documentation for Windows Home Server Power Pack 3The release documentation for Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 contains new information to help you set up and run Windows Home Server Power Pack 3.
To obtain the English version of the release documentation, visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must have Windows Home Server Power Pack 2 installed. If you have a beta version or a release candidate version of Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 installed, you must uninstall these preliminary versions before you install this final version of Windows Home Server Power Pack 3.
Restart requirementYou must restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Update replacement informationThis update replaces the updates that are described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
963032 The Windows Home Server console is displayed incorrectly when the screen resolution is lower than 1024 × 768
972421 Issues occur after you recover Windows Home Server by using a server recovery DVD that has Power Pack 2 integrated
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about Windows Home Server, visit the following Microsoft Web site: For more information about Windows Home Server Power Pack 2, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
956587 Description of the Windows Home Server Power Pack 2 updateFor more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates