When using a computer running Apple’s Bonjour service, a default gateway of 0.0.0.0 may be created on your computer.
This problem occurs because Bonjour uses logic to add a route to specify a default gateway of 0.0.0.0 which it does not remove.
The following events must happen to receive this route, on a computer running Windows Vista or higher, with Bonjour installed:
The computer does not receive an address through DHCP prior to the Bonjour service start.
Under this condition, the Bonjour service adds a default route to the computer indicating that all internet hosts are “onlink”.
The computer is subsequently able to receive an address through DHCP. Bonjour does not remove the default route, leaving an incorrect default gateway configured on the machine. This gateway usurps the proper gateway configuration DHCP provides and prevents internet access.
To have us resolve this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myselfTo resolve this issue manually delete the route. To do this follow the steps listed below:
1. Click Start button and type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
route delete 0.0.0.0
3. Close the command prompt window
Note: This does not ensure that the Bonjour service will never create the route again as this depends on the sequence of events under ‘Cause’ occurring. If this happens again, follow the above steps to remove the route.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support.
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me" blog or send us an email message.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM AND EXCLUDE ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY CONDITION OR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE MATERIALS.