Consider the following scenario:
- You install Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1.
- You install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 side by side with Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1.
- You try to repair the SQL Server 2008 instance, using Add or Remove Programs feature in Control Panel.
Note For more information about how to repair a failed SQL Server 2008 installation, visit the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
In this scenario, the repair action will fail, and you receive the following error message:
For more help, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.1600.22&EvtType=0xDF039760%25401201%25401
- The issue will also happen with the release version of Visual Studio, but as noted in the release notes, SQL Server 2008 requires Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2008 if you need to use Management tools, Integration services and Business Intelligence Development studio features.
Microsoft SQL Server 208 Release Notes
- This issue also exists in the upcoming release SQL Server 2008 R2.
Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and SQL Server 2008 shipped the same MSI package for SSCE runtime but with different file names. SQL Server shipped it as SSCERuntime.msi while Visual Studio 2008 SP1 shipped it as SSCERuntime-enu.msi. During the repair operation, Windows installer tries to change the name of the MSI shipped with Visual Studio.net to the one that is shipped with SQL. Because Windows installer does not allow this, the repair operation fails with the error mentioned in the symptom section.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Remove Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 <Language> using Add or Remove Programs feature in Control Panel.
2. Rerun the repair operation for SQL Server 2008. After the repair operation, SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 <Language>is reinstalled on the system.
How to: Repair a Failed SQL Server 2008 Installation
Note <Language> is a placeholder for the language of SQL Server Compact 3.5. For example, ENU is for English, and JPN is for Japanese.
If you experience any problems reinstalling the compact edition through the repair option, you can install the compact edition using the setup files that are available in the Servers\Setup folder on the SQL Server 2008 installation media. You can also download SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 from the following Microsoft Download Center Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DC614AEE-7E1C-4881-9C32-3A6CE53384D9&displaylang=en
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM AND EXCLUDE ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY CONDITION OR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE MATERIALS.
Article ID: 970876 - Last Review: Dec 16, 2009 - Revision: 1