- The SmartScreen filter feature of Internet Explorer 8 is enabled
- Internet Explorer 8 cannot connect to the SmartScreen online service
- Internet Explorer 8 Protected Mode is not enabled. Note that if Internet Explorer 8 is running on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, the Protected Mode feature is not available
Method 1: Add the file download site to the local intranet zone in Internet Explorer
This method adds the file download site to the local intranet zone file after you download the necessary source settings.
- Start Internet Explorer
- Click the Tools menu button, then click Internet options
- Click the Security tab
- Click the Sites button to point to the local intranet zone
- Click the Advanced Settings button on the local intranet screen
- Type the address of the site you want to download the file(s) from, and then click the Add button
- Click Close, then Ok, and then Ok.
Method2: Troubleshoot internet connectivity to the SmartScreen online services.
Troubleshoot any network connectivity issues that could be prohibiting you from connecting to the internet.
To change the security settings for Internet Explorer
Understanding Internet Explorer protected mode and functions
Article ID: 973082 - Last Review: Sep 28, 2011 - Revision: 1