This article describes where to find the product key. It also describes how to obtain a replacement product key if the product key is obscured or lost.
How to locate the product keyThe product key may appear in different places. This depends on how you obtained the product, such as on CD/DVD, by downloaded, by subscription, or the product came preinstalled on a computer that you purchased. To find the product key, check the following locations:
- The sticker on the CD case or on other packaging
- The Certificate of Authenticity that came with the program
- The confirmation e-mail message that you received for an online purchase
- A sticker on the computer
- The user manual or other documentation that was included with your computer
How to replace a damaged or lost product keyIf you cannot find your product key, you can obtain a replacement product key. To do this, contact Microsoft Customer Support Services:
Games for Windows: (800) 537-8324
Note There may be a charge to obtain a new product key.
- The product CD or DVD, if the product came on disc
- The computer on which you want to install the product
- The readable parts of your original product key, if this is available
- The "inner circle" number on the product discNote This number is preceded by an "X" and contains seven digits, as shown here:
Article ID: 973457 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 3