To detect if a codec is missing in Windows Media Player
- Select the file that you want to play, and then drag it to the area of the Windows Media Player playlist.
- If the required codec to play the file is missing, you cannot drop the file.
To install codecs automatically
- Click Start, and then click All Programs.
- Click Windows Media Player.
- Click Now Playing, and then click More Options。
- On the Player tab, select the Download codecs automatically check box, and then click OK.
To install codecs manually
- Start Internet Explorer, and then go to the following Microsoft website:
- A list of the available codecs is displayed. Click the codec that you want to download.
- You are redirected to the website of the manufacturer of the codec. Follow the instructions to install the codec.
Article ID: 973857 - Last Review: May 2, 2017 - Revision: 2