This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
- Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is disabled either in the BIOS or in the operating system.
- The system is configured to enter hibernation or to enter hybrid sleep mode when the power button is pressed.
- The language version of the operating system that you are running is a double-byte character set (DBCS) language. For example, you are running a Chinese, Korean, or Japanese version of Windows 7.
- This problem may also occur in a rare scenario in which the power goes off while the computer is entering hibernation.
- By default, hybrid sleep is enabled on desktop computers. Therefore, if a desktop computer is configured to enter sleep mode when the power button is pressed, the computer actually enters hybrid sleep mode.
If you do not have a Windows PE disc, start the computer by using a Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows Server 2008 installation DVD, and then start the computer in normal mode.
To prevent this problem from reccurring, apply update 974431. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: