When you start Microsoft Outlook 2010 for the first time, your nickname cache (stored in the profilename.nk2 file) is imported into a hidden message in your default message store.
Note profilename is the name of your Outlook profile.
For example, if you are using a Microsoft Exchange account, the nickname cache is imported into a hidden message in the Exchange mailbox.
Note Earlier versions of Outlook store the nickname cache .nk2 file in the following folder.
- Windows XP
Drive:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
- Windows Vista and later versions
Note If you have multiple Outlook profiles, the nickname cache from each profile is merged into your new Outlook 2010 nickname cache on the first start of Outlook 2010 by using that profile. Therefore, you may find more than one .nk2 file renamed to .nk2.old.
However, there may be situations where you have to import a nickname cache file after this first-run nickname cache import process has finished. For example, a colleague wants to share their nickname cache with you and you want to update your existing nickname cache with your colleague’s data.
This article discusses how to import .nk2 files into Outlook 2010.
Here's an easy fix
To fix this problem automatically, click the Download button. In the File Download dialog box, click Run or Open, and then follow the steps in the easy fix wizard.
- Please select an .nk2 file that you want to import into Outlook 2010.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you’re not on the computer that has the problem, save the easy fix solution to a flash drive or a CD, and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Let me fix it myself
Easy fix 50584
To import .nk2 files into Outlook 2010, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the .nk2 file is in the following folder: %appdata%\Microsoft\OutlookNote The .nk2 file must have the same name as your current Outlook 2010 profile. By default, the profile name is "Outlook." To check the profile name, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Mail.
- In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type outlook.exe /importnk2, and then click OK. This should import the .nk2 file into the Outlook 2010 profile.
Note After you import the .nk2 file, the contents of the file are merged into the existing nickname cache that is currently stored in your mailbox.