Given these challenges, Windows Server 2008 cannot serve as a KMS host for Microsoft Office 2010. However, Windows Server 2008 R2 can serve as a KMS host for Office 2010 because this version has a different code base than Windows Server 2008.
Also, Windows Server 2003 can serve as an Office KMS host because Windows Server 2003 was not included with the KMS service. And, the KMS service that is required by Office 2010 can be installed on Windows Server 2003.
- Do one of the following on a supported operating system:
- Upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Downgrade to Windows Server 2003.
- Run the KMS host on a Windows 7 computer.
- Run a virtual machine of a supported operating system on the Windows Server 2008 computer.
- Use MAK keys instead of KMS.
Customers who decide to upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2 must obtain one Windows Server 2008 R2 license to set up the KMS host.
Article ID: 981859 - Last Review: Sep 7, 2012 - Revision: 1