When backing up files to multiple CD\DVD disks using Windows Backup you may receive the following error:
Error: Unspecified error: (0x80004005)
When set up Windows Backup to back up to CD\DVD, and if the backup is large enough to require multiple discs, some users observe backup fail with "unspecified error" 0x80004005. This issue does not happen if the backup only requires one disc.
This issue can occur if you close the progress dialog box before the backup completes.
To work around this issue do not close the progress dialog box until backup is completed.
The issue has been seen in the following scenario:
1. Windows Backup is configured to back up to CD\DVD
2. The backup starts and displays a notification in Action Center asking for first disc. You click More information
3. Windows displays the Backup progress dialog box and the Change Media dialog displays on top of the Backup progress dialog box
4. You insert a CD\DVD disc to continue with backup and you close the Backup progress dialog box
5. The backup finishes writing to first disc and shows another notification in Action Center asking for a second CD\DVD disc
6. Clicking More information is followed by an unspecified error and the backup fails.
The issue is caused by closing the Backup progress dialog box in step 4.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM AND EXCLUDE ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY CONDITION OR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE MATERIALS.
Article ID: 982727 - Last Review: Apr 20, 2010 - Revision: 1