If you try to delete the missing virtual machine, you may receive the following error message:
The VM file vmname.domain.local is already being used by another VM.
- Close the SCVMM Administrator Console.
- Stop the SCVMM service (VMMService.exe) on the SCVMM server.
- Make a full backup of the SCVMM database.
- Install Microsoft SQL Management Studio Express on the computer that has the SCVMM database.
- Run SQL Server Management Studio Express, select the SCVMM database, and then run the SQL script that is documented on the following TechNet website:
- If the script was successful, you see the following output:
- After the script has finished, restart the SCVMM service (VMMService.exe) on the SCVMM server, and then open the SCVMM Administrator Console to verify that the missing VMs were deleted.
2308590 Description of the System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 hotfix rollup package: September 14, 2010
- Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008
- Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2
Article ID: 983839 - Last Review: Sep 10, 2011 - Revision: 1