Windows NT AS Features Not Included in Windows NT
This article was previously published under Q101900
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server contains all the features ofWindows NT. It is, however, a superset of Windows NT. It hasadditional enhanced features ideally suitable for a versatile networkserver, as compared to Windows NT which can be used only as aworkgroup server.
The following features of Windows NT Advanced Server are not part ofWindows NT:
- Domain Control - Windows NT Advanced Server can be used as a Domain Controller which facilitates centralized network administration. Domain is a concept of logically grouping servers and workstations into one unit.
- Trust Relationship - It can be used to set up trust relationship with other network domains to extend the network connectivity.
- Advanced Fault Tolerance - It has advanced fault tolerance features which include disk mirroring, disk duplexing and disk striping with parity. This protects against data loses due to hard disk or computer failure.
- Directory Replication - This feature of Windows NT AS allows export of files from a particular directory from the master server to multiple computers and update files automatically.
- Central Location for User Profile - This facility provides the facility of storing multiple users operating environment called profiles at a central location so that these can be accessed from any workstation in the network.
- Services for Macintosh - This enables Macintosh computers to connect to Windows NT Advanced Server as workstations and clients.
- Extended RAS Support - Remote Access Services in the Advanced Server supports up to 64 ports, compared to 1 for Windows NT. This feature allows multiple remote workstations to connect to NT AS. It provides access to client-server applications and advanced security.
sfm prodnt as differences compare
Article ID: 101900 - Last Review: 10/22/2013 20:30:35 - Revision: 2.1
Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1, Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.1, Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbother KB101900