Cannot Disable ToolTips Directly from Microsoft Query
This article was previously published under Q107254
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry.Before you edit the registry, you should first make a backup copy of theregistry files (System.dat and User.dat). Both are hidden files in theWindows folder.
You cannot disable ToolTips from within Microsoft Query. If you do not wantToolTips to be displayed, do the following according to the version ofMicrosoft Query you are using:
Microsoft Query for Windows 95, version 2.0
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems thatmay require you to reinstall Windows 95. Microsoft cannot guarantee thatproblems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.Use Registry Editor at your own risk.For information about how to edit the registry, view the Changing Keys AndValues online Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe). Note that youshould make a backup copy of the registry files (System.dat and User.dat)before you edit the registry.
- Click the Start button, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type "regedit", without quotes.
- Locate the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry folder.
- Expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder until you locate the "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Query\2.0\Microsoft Query" folder.
- Click the Microsoft Query folder.
- On the Edit Menu in the Registry Editor, click New, and then click Dword Value.
- Type "Tooltips" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
- Click Exit on the Registry menu to exit the Registry Editor.
Microsoft Query, version 1.0Change the MSQUERY.INI file:
- If you are in Microsoft Query, quit the application.
- Use a text editor, such as Windows Notepad, to open the MSQUERY.INI file (this file should be located in the WINDOWS directory).
- In the [Microsoft Query] section of MSQUERY.INI, add the following line:
- Save the MSQUERY.INI file and quit the text editor.
To re-enable ToolTips, remove the "ToolTips=0" line from the MSQUERY.INIfile.
Article ID: 107254 - Last Review: 10/21/2013 18:06:28 - Revision: 1.4
Microsoft Excel 95 Standard Edition, Microsoft Excel 5.0 Standard Edition, Microsoft Query 2000
- kbnosurvey kbarchive KB107254