The change in the document file size is more or less than expected in Word
This article was previously published under Q111277
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Sometimes the file size of your Microsoft Word document changes substantially (increases or decreases), even if you make only minor revisions to the document. Moreover, the file size sometimes remains constant, even though you made changes in the document.
The file size of your Word document may increase unexpectedly in the following situations:
- Allow Fast Saves option is turned on. A fast save appends the changes to the end of your document, which increases the size of the document. By contrast, when you turn off the Allow Fast Saves option and save the document, Word performs a full save, which incorporates all your revisions (instead of appending them). If you perform a full save after a file was fast saved, Word reduces the size of the file.
Note Even with the Allow Fast Saves option turned on, Word periodically performs a full save of your document. As a result, the file size of your document may change substantially between save operations.-or-
- The option to Embed TrueType Fonts is selected. To check this, on the Tools menu, click Options and then click the Save tab. -or-
- You are automatically saving versions of a document. On the File menu, click versions. Check to see whether Automatically Save a Version on Close is selected.
To turn off the Fast Save feature, use the procedure appropriate for your version of Word.
Microsoft Word version 6.x (Macintosh), 97 (Windows), 2000 (Windows), 2002 (Windows)
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- Click the Save tab.
- Click to clear the Allow Fast Saves check box.
Microsoft Word 5.x (Macintosh)
- On the Tools menu, click Preferences.
- Click the Open And Save icon.
- Click to clear the Allow Fast Saves check box. (By default, this option is on.)
Microsoft Word 4.0 (Macintosh)
- On the Edit menu, click Commands.
- Highlight Fast Save Enabled in the list of commands.
- Click the Add button. The option has been added to the Edit menu.
- Click Cancel.
- On the Edit menu, click to clear the Fast Save Enabled check box.
fastsave increase large grows size
Article ID: 111277 - Last Review: 12/04/2015 09:59:57 - Revision: 2.4
Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition, Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition, Microsoft Word 6.0 for Macintosh, Microsoft Word 6.01 for Macintosh, Microsoft Word 6.01 for Macintosh
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbtshoot kbbug kbpending KB111277