Data Number Formatting Lost Creating Pivot Table
This article was previously published under Q118371
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
In Microsoft Excel, when you create a PivotTable, the formatting ofany numeric values in the table is not retained.
This behavior is by design of Microsoft Excel. The data values used in aPivotTable are not formatted. For example, if you create a PivotTablethat uses the following column of data
the values in the PivotTable are displayed as follows:
To format PivotTable fields that contain numbers, follow these steps:
- Select the cells in the PivotTable that contain the numeric field values that you want to format.
- On the Format menu, click Cells.
- In the Format Cells dialog box, click the Number tab, select the number format that you want, and then click OK.
To prevent this number formatting from being lost when you click Refresh Data
, follow these steps:
- Right-click a cell in the PivotTable, and then click Options.
- In the PivotTable Options dialog box, under Format options, click to select the Preserve formatting check box.
For more information about customizing a PivotTable, click the Search
button in Help and type:
Pivot Tables, customizing
XL97 97 customize custom XL
Article ID: 118371 - Last Review: 08/15/2003 15:24:48 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition