WD: How to Type Accented International Characters from the Keyboard
For a Microsoft Word 2000 version of this article, see 269750.
For a Microsoft Word 97 version of this article, see 196842.
For example, the following are some of the characters that can be typed with an accent directly from your keyboard:
Ã€ Ã Ã Ã¡ Ã‚ Ã¢ Ãƒ Ã£ Ã„ Ã¤ Ãˆ Ã¨ Ã‰ Ã© ÃŠ Ãª Ã‹ Ã« ÃŒ Ã¬ Ã Ã ÃŽ Ã® Ã Ã¯
- While holding the CTRL key, type the character that will appear above the letter.
NOTE: To add the tilde, colon, or caret character, press CTRL+SHIFT and then type the character that will appear above the letter.
The status bar displays "CTRL+key" where key is the key that you pressed, but nothing appears on the screen.
- Type the letter that you want. The accented character will appear in the document.
- While holding the OPTION key, type the character that will appear above the letter.
- Type the letter that you want. The new combination appears in the document.
Word 98 Macintosh EditionFor more information about this topic, click the Help button on the Standard toolbar and search on accent. Click the Insert symbols or special characters topic, and then clickType international characters.
Word 7.0For more information about this topic, double-click the Help button on the Standard toolbar and search (Show Topics) on accent, or international. Select the "Creating international letters with a U.S. keyboard" topic and click the Go To button.
Article ID: 120085 - Last Review: 12/04/2015 10:27:58 - Revision: 1.2
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto kbinfo kbualink97 kbusage KB120085