Incorrect Calculator Results When You Use the Percent Key
This article was previously published under Q132984
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you use the Calculator tool, you may receive an incorrect result if you multiply, divide, add, or subtract after using the percent (%) key.
When you use the percent key followed by an operator, Calculator performs a multiplication operation regardless of which operator you use.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Windows versions 3.1 and 3.11, Microsoft Windows NT versions 3.1 and 3.5, and Microsoft Windows 95/98.
500 * 5% = 25 + = 525
demonstrates the Calculator error. If you perform this calculation with Calculator, you receive a result of 12,500 instead of 525
Article ID: 132984 - Last Review: 02/28/2014 07:57:33 - Revision: 2.4
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows 3.1 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 3.11 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive KB132984