How to Add Data to a Drop-Down or List Box
To link the list box or drop-down box to a range of cells on a worksheet
- Create a list box or drop-down on a custom dialog box.
- Select the control.
- On the Format menu, click Object, and click the Control tab.
- In the Input Range box, enter a reference to a vertical range of cells (for example, Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10).
Do not include a header row unless you want that row to be included in the list or drop-down box.
To use a Visual Basic Macro to populate the drop-down or list boxMicrosoft provides programming examples for illustration only, without warranty either expressed or implied. This includes, but is not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. This article assumes that you are familiar with the programming language that is being demonstrated and with the tools that are used to create and to debug procedures. Microsoft support engineers can help explain the functionality of a particular procedure, but they will not modify these examples to provide added functionality or construct procedures to meet your specific requirements. To create the dialog box:
- Insert a dialog sheet. Name this sheet Dialog1.
NOTE: To name a dialog box element, type the name in the Name box (the box at the left end of the formula bar).
- Create a list box control on the dialog box. Name the list box List Box 4.
- Create a drop-down box on the dialog box. Name drop-down box Drop Down 5.
- In a module sheet, enter the following macro code:
Sub Fill_Control() Dim diag As Object Dim mylist As Object Dim mydrop As Object Set diag = DialogSheets("Dialog1") Set mylist = diag.ListBoxes("List Box 4") Set mydrop = diag.DropDowns("Drop Down 5") 'Remove all items from drop-down and list box mylist.RemoveAllItems mydrop.RemoveAllItems 'Insert data into List Box and Drop Down myarray = Array("Tom", "Fred", "Sam", "Wilma", "Sandy") For x = 0 To 4 mylist.AddItem myarray(x) mydrop.AddItem myarray(x) Next x 'Show Dialog Box diag.Show End Sub
- To run the macro, position the insertion point on the line that reads,and press F5.
Article ID: 141573 - Last Review: 12/04/2015 12:42:20 - Revision: 2.3
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbcode kbhowto kbprogramming KB141573