How to Use Program Manager for the Windows Shell
This article was previously published under Q142255
This article describes how to use Program Manager as the shell in Windows 95/98 and Windows Millennium Edition (Me).
NOTE: Microsoft does not recommend or support using Program Manager as theshell in Windows 95/98 or Windows Me.
To use Program Manager as the shell in Windows, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button, and then click Run.
- Type system.ini in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate the line that reads "shell=Explorer.exe," and then place a semicolon (;) at the beginning of the line to disable the line.
- Add the following line beneath the line you disabled in step 3:
- Save and then close the System.ini file.
- Shut down and then restart Windows 95/98.
For additional information about using Program Manager as the shell inWindows, please see the following article in the Microsoft KnowledgeBase:
TITLE : Program Manager Issues in Windows 95
old ui interface progman
Article ID: 142255 - Last Review: 01/19/2007 15:33:40 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 95
- kbfaq kbfaq kbhowto kbui KB142255