Changing the Windows NT Redirector Time-Out Value
This article was previously published under Q148950
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you use NET USE or NET VIEW across a Dial-On-Demand router or slowlink and the connection attempt is longer than 45 seconds, a "SemaphoreTimeout" error message appears.
By default, the Windows NT redirector time-out value is 45 seconds, whichlimits the length of time a connection is made. To change the redirectortime-out value, do the following:
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wideproblems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them.Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use ofRegistry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.
- Start Registry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE) and locate the following Registry subkey in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Paramete
- From the Edit menu, select Add Value.
- Enter the following:
Value Name: ConnectMaxTimeout
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: <Number of seconds>
- Click OK and quit the Registry Editor.
- Shut down and restart Windows NT.
Article ID: 148950 - Last Review: 02/28/2014 04:16:13 - Revision: 2.1
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5, Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51, Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition, Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5, Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51, Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbnetwork KB148950