How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0xC0000218 Error Message
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SYSTEM or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
This error message can also occur if the driver has corrupted the registry data while loading into memory, or the memory where the registry is loading has a parity error. In the latter case, turn off the external cache and check the memory chips.
- Start your computer by running the Recovery Console, run the chkdsk /p command on the drive, and then restart your computer. Test to determine whether the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to step 2.
- When Windows loads, press SPACE BAR when the "Load Last Known Good" message appears.
- Complete a parallel installation, and restore the registry files from a tape backup. To do so:
- Reinstall Windows in a separate folder.
- Restore the damaged registry hive from backup. This procedure is specific to the backup application that you used to make a backup. Consult the documentation of your backup application or consult the vendor if you need assistance. Typically, this procedure requires you to restore a system state backup to an alternate location, and then copy the appropriate registry files to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\config folder of the damaged operating system.
- If you do not have a tape backup, include the backup of network servers and production workstations.
For more information about a similar problem that occurs in Microsoft Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
رقم الموضوع: 156640 - آخر مراجعة: 02/27/2007 00:01:00 - المراجعة: 5.2
- kberrmsg kbhowto kbnetwork KB156640