How to install FrontPage Server Extensions for IIS
This article was previously published under Q156842
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
For a Microsoft FrontPage 2000 version of this article, see 205696.
For a Microsoft FrontPage 98 version of this article, see 194103.
This article describes how to install the FrontPage Server Extensionsfor the Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS).
Before you proceed with the steps in this article, you should do thefollowing:The following files are available for download from the MicrosoftDownload Center:
119591 How to Obtain Microsoft Support Files from Online ServicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help to prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
-and-Ensure that IIS is functioning properly and running, and that Microsoft FrontPage is already installed.
To install the FrontPage 1.1 Server Extensions for the Microsoft InternetInformation Server, follow these steps:
- Log on to the Windows NT Server using the Administrator user id and password (do not log on as a User with Administrator permissions).
- Start the Internet Service Manager and select the WWW Service. On the Properties menu, click Service Properties.
- In the Password Authentication section on the Service tab, click to select the "Basic (Clear Text)" check box. Click Apply, and then click OK.
- To decompress the FrontPage server extension file, double-click it.
- If you have already performed this operation once since FrontPage was installed, go to step b. If you have not performed this operation since FrontPage was installed, at the end of the decompression process, click Yes when prompted to start Server Administrator now. Go to step 5.
- Start the FrontPage Server Administrator.
- Check the Ports section of this dialog box. Make sure that no extensions are installed on the port where IIS is running. If there are, uninstall them. Once the port is free, click Install, and then follow these steps:
- From the Server Type list in the Configure Server Type dialog box, select MS Internet Information Server.
- In the Server Configuration dialog box, type the port number for the server.
Do not type an IP address in the Multihosting section unless you have already bound multiple IP addresses to your NT Server and assigned them to virtual servers in IIS. (Never type a domain name in the Multihosting section.)
- In the Confirmation dialog box, click OK.
- In the Administrator for Personal Web Server dialog box, in the Name box, type "Administrator" (without the quotation marks). In the Password and Confirm Password boxes, type "x" (without the quotation marks). Click OK.
- To connect to the Microsoft Internet Information Server from FrontPage Explorer, click Open Web on the File menu.
- In the Open Web dialog box in FrontPage Explorer, type the Hostname or IP Address to the Internet Information Server.
- When prompted for the Author/Username and Password, type the username and password you use to log on to Windows NT.
- Log on to Windows NT using the Administrator account.
- Double-click the executable file downloaded from the Microsoft Web Site.
Article ID: 156842 - Last Review: 12/04/2015 15:28:38 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft FrontPage 1.1 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdownload kbfile kbinfo kbsetup KB156842