PPT97: PowerPoint 97 and TrueType Font Embedding
For a Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 version of this article, see 198337.
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97 for Windows
- Microsoft PowerPoint for Windows 95, versions 7.0, 7.0a, 7.0b
- Microsoft PowerPoint for Windows, versions 4.0, 4.0a, 4.0c
NOTE: Some TrueType fonts cannot be embedded. These fonts have copyrightrestrictions built in to them.
If you open a PowerPoint 4.0 or 7.0 presentation in PowerPoint 97, andthat presentation contains embedded fonts, those fonts appear correctlyuntil you save and re-open the presentation. When you re-open thepresentation, the fonts still have the correct names, but theydisplay and print using substitute fonts (fonts which are actuallyinstalled on your computer.)
There are other levels of TrueType font embedding. PowerPoint 4.0, forexample, supports Install-level. When you open a PowerPoint 4.0presentation that contains embedded TrueType fonts in PowerPoint 4.0,PowerPoint actually installs those fonts on your computer. You can thenuse those fonts in other presentations or even in other programs.
Because PowerPoint 97 cannot embed TrueType fonts in presentations thatare saved as version 7.0 or version 4.0 files, the fonts in yourpresentation may look different on other computers if you do one ormore of the following:
- Use the Pack and Go Wizard to pack your presentation
- Save your presentation as PowerPoint 95 & 97 format file
- Save your presentation as an ActiveX PowerPoint Animation.
Article ID: 159813 - Last Review: 10/04/2013 16:56:09 - Revision: 1.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbfont kbualink97 KB159813