Error Message: Load Needed DLLs for Kernel
This article was previously published under Q164448
When you start Windows NT, you may receive the following error message:
Windows NT could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.
The Hal.dll and Ntoskrnl.exe files are mismatched.
Use the ERD disk and repair the installation. Choose to replace all files,and then replace only the Hal.dll and Ntoskrnl.exe files.
If you can start another installation of Windows NT on the same computer,you can expand the correct Hal.dll and Ntoskrnl.exe files from the WindowsNT CD-ROM. To do so, follow these steps:
- Boot to the working version of Windows NT.
- Start a command prompt.
- Change to the CD-ROM drive.
- Change to the appropriate folder on the CD-ROM (for example, I386 for Intel-based computers).
- Type expand hal.dl_ <systemroot>\system32 where <systemroot> is the path of the non-functioning Windows NT folder.
- Type expand ntoskrnl.ex_ <systemroot>\system32.
- Restart the computer into the other Windows NT installation.
Article ID: 164448 - Last Review: 11/01/2006 04:41:12 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition