XFOR: Verifying Basic POP3 Connectivity Using Telnet
NOTE: Press the ENTER key after you type each line.
- Start a telnet session by running the following command: Telnet IP_address_of_server 110If a connection is made, a banner from the server is displayed that indicates the server's version, which is similar to the following:+OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.4408.0 (server_name.domain.com) ready.
- Begin communication by logging on to the mailbox with the following commands: USER domain/Windows_NT_account/Exchange_mailboxThe following response is displayed:+OK
- Type the following command: PASS Windows_NT_domain_passwordThe following response is displayed:+OK User successfully logged on
- Type the following command to list all mail in the mailbox: LISTThe following response is displayed (this information varies, depending on the number of messages in the mailbox):+OKThe message number is the number on left
- Type the following command to retrieve a message: RETR message numberThe message that you selected by using the message number is displayed in the response, similar to the following:+OK
Received: by YOMAN2.dns.microsoft.com
id <01BC2F60.EA72A8C0@YOMAN2.dns.microsoft.com>; Thu, 13 Mar
1997 03:44:55 -0000
From: yoman2 <yoman2@Site-A.Microsoft.com>
To: yoman2 <yoman2@Site-A.Microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 03:44:55 -0000
<Body of Message>
Article ID: 165186 - Last Review: 10/04/2013 21:23:12 - Revision: 3.3
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbtshoot KB165186