Automatically Changing the Node Type of a Windows NT Workstation
This article was previously published under Q167640
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
In network installations, where IP addresses are assigned statically(DHCP is not used), it is often desirable to change the NetBIOS nameresolution node type of a computer. This is time consuming when largenumbers of computers are involved because an administrator must edit theregistry of each computer where the node type is to be changed.
This article describes one possible method of automating the change.
- Create the following two-line text file and save it in ANSI (Windows) or DOS text format. It will not work if saved as a Unicode file.
\Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters NodeType = REG_DWORD 0x00000004 NOTE: Use 0x00000008 for hybrid node or h-node Use 0x00000004 for mixed node or m-node Use 0x00000002 for point-to-point WINS or p-node Use 0x00000001 for broadcast node or b-node
For additional information with descriptions of the various settings for this key, please see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
- Save the file as M-NODE.INI (change the first letter for node types other than mixed).
- Copy this file and the file Regini.exe from the Windows NT "Resource Kit" to either a floppy drive or a network share.
- The following command, executed at a workstation from the path where Regini.exe and M-NODE.INI are stored, will change the node type to mixed. Changing to other node types is done in the same fashion.REGINI M-NODE.INI
- This could be automated further by enclosing it in a batch file, or a logon script:@ECHO OFF
IF /I "%1" == "h" REGINI H-NODE.INI & GOTO END
IF /I "%1" == "m" REGINI M-NODE.INI & GOTO END
IF /I "%1" == "p" REGINI P-NODE.INI & GOTO END
IF /I "%1" == "b" REGINI B-NODE.INI & GOTO END
ECHO USAGE: NODE X where X is the desired node type (H, M, P, OR B).
prodnt DHCP registry REGINI how to
Article ID: 167640 - Last Review: 12/04/2015 16:54:06 - Revision: 2.2
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition, Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51, Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition, Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51, Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbenv kbhowto kbnetwork KB167640