How to Connect to the Internet Using a Proxy Server
This article was previously published under Q168688
This article describes how to configure Microsoft Windows CE and MicrosoftPocket Internet Explorer to connect to the Internet using a proxy server.
To establish a dial-up (PPP) connection, you must have Pocket InternetExplorer installed on your Handheld PC (H/PC) and the followinginformation:
- Your user name and password for dial-up access to your network.
- The dial-up access phone number for your network.
- TCP/IP settings for establishing a dial-up connection to your network.
Once you have obtained this information, follow these steps:
- Tap the Start button, tap Programs, double-tap the Communications folder, and then double-tap Remote Networking.
- Double-tap Make New Connection.
- Type a name for your new dial-up connection, tap Dial-Up Connection to select it, and then tap Next.
- Tap TCP/IP Settings, provide the appropriate information for establishing a dial-up connection to your network, and then tap OK.
- In the Telephone Number box, type your dial-up access number, and then tap Finish.
- Double-tap the icon for your new dial-up connection.
- In the User box, type your user name.
- In the Password box, type your password.
- If appropriate, type your domain name in the Domain box. Otherwise, leave the Domain box empty.
- Click Connect.
- Once a dial-up connection to your network is established, run Pocket Internet Explorer.
- On the View menu, tap Options.
- Tap the Proxy Server tab, and then tap the Use Proxy Server check box to select it.
- In the Proxy Server box, type the name or IP address of your proxy server.
- In the Port box, type the appropriate port number. The default port number is 80.
- Tap OK.
Article ID: 168688 - Last Review: 11/26/2003 17:34:00 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Windows CE 2.0 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 2.1 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 2.11 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 2.12 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 3.0 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 3.01 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 3.0 for the Handheld PC Professional Edition
- Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer 1.0
- Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer 1.1