XL97: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns
This article was previously published under Q170081
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
If you try to hide columns of data in Microsoft Excel, you may receive thefollowing error message:
Cannot shift objects off sheet.
This problem occurs if both of the following conditions are true:
- You create a cell comment in any cell in a column.
- You try to hide the column to the left of the column with the cell comment, the column with the cell comment, and all the columns to the right of the column with the cell comment.
NOTE: Depending on the location of the column that contains the cellcomment, you receive the error if you try to hide the column with the cellcomment and all the columns to the right of the column with the cellcomment.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Because cell comments are hidden by default, select the cell containing the comment, right-click the cell, and then click Show Comment on the shortcut menu.
- If the workbook is not shared, move the pointer to the edge of the comment until the pointer turns into four small black arrows. Click the comment to select the comment object. If the workbook is shared, move the pointer to the edge of the comment until the pointer turns into a white arrow pointer. Click the comment to select the comment object.
- On the Format menu, click Comment. In the Format Comment dialog box, click the Properties tab.
- Click "Move and size with cells," and then click OK.
- If you want to hide the cell comment again, right-click the cell and click Hide Comment on the shortcut menu.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
For more information about hiding columns, click the Index tab inMicrosoft Excel Help, type the following text
hiding, columnsand then double-click the selected text to go to the "Hide a row or column"topic.
Article ID: 170081 - Last Review: 12/04/2015 17:13:23 - Revision: 1.0
Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kberrmsg kbprb KB170081