How to subscribe to newsgroups in Outlook Express
This article was previously published under Q171190
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to subscribe to and unsubscribe from Internetnewsgroups using Outlook Express.
Before you can subscribe to Internet newsgroups, you must configureOutlook Express for Internet news.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
171164 How to configure Outlook Express for Internet news
To read and post messages to newsgroups, you must set up a news account. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
- Click Add, and then click News.
- Type the necessary information from your Internet Service Provider.
- In Microsoft Outlook Express, click News on the Go menu. If you have not already subscribed to any newsgroups, you are prompted to view a list of newsgroups.
If News does not appear on the Go menu in Outlook Express, follow these steps:
- On the View menu, click Toolbar, and then click Customize.
- Click the Commands tab.
- In the Categories list, click Go.
- In the Commands list, click News, and then drag News to the Go menu.
- When the list of commands on the Go menu appears, drag News to where you want the command to appear.
- On the Tools menu, click Newsgroups.
- In the list of newsgroups, click a newsgroup, and then click Subscribe. To search for a specific newsgroup, type a word or part of a newsgroup name in the Display Newsgroups Which Contain box.
In Outlook Express 5, newsgroups to which you have already subscribed aredenoted by a file, paper, and pushpin icon to the left of the newsgroupname.
To unsubscribe from Internet newsgroups in Outlook Express, follow thesesteps:
- On the Subscribed tab, click the newsgroup you no longer want to subscribe to, and then click Unsubscribe.
- Click OK.
Article ID: 171190 - Last Review: 12/04/2015 17:22:59 - Revision: 3.5
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0, Microsoft Outlook Express 4.0, Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0, Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0, Microsoft Outlook Express 4.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto KB171190