You receive the "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site <address>" error message when you try to connect to the Internet
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you attempt to connect to the Internet after running the InternetConnection Wizard, you may receive the following error message:
Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site <address> A connection with the server could not be established.
This error message can occur if you are connecting to the Internet using aproxy server (a server on the local area network that lets you connect tothe Internet without using a modem). If the Internet Connection Wizarddoes not finish successfully, the option to connect to the Internetthrough a proxy server may be disabled.
To resolve this issue, enable the option to connect through a proxyserver. To do this, follow these steps:
Internet Explorer 4.x
- In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the View menu.
- Click the Connection tab.
- Click the Connect Using A Proxy Server check box to select it, and then click OK.
Internet Explorer 5
- In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu.
- Click the Connections tab.
- Click LAN Settings.
- Click the Use A Proxy Server check box to select it, click OK, and then click OK again.
Article ID: 172546 - Last Review: 06/22/2014 18:27:00 - Revision: 6.0