Cannot Empty Recycle Bin or Modify Recycle Bin Properties
This article was previously published under Q173416
You may experience the following symptoms:
- When you right-click the Recycle Bin, the Empty Recycle Bin command may be unavailable.
- When you right-click the Recycle Bin, the Properties command may be unavailable.
- Files that you delete may be permanently deleted rather than moved to the Recycle Bin.
This behavior can occur if your fixed hard disk is marked as a removable drive.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click System.
- Click the Device Manager tab.
- Double-click the Disk Drives branch to expand it.
- Click your hard disk, and then click Properties.
- On the Settings tab, click the Removable check box to clear it.
- Click OK, and then click OK.
- Restart your computer.
Note that you cannot use these steps to treat an actual removable driveas a fixed drive. If the drive is removable, the Removable option is resetwhen you restart the computer.
Zip Jaz Optical greyed grayed out media
Article ID: 173416 - Last Review: 01/20/2007 02:15:56 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- kbdiskmemory kbenv KB173416