OFF97: Problems Occur After Removing MS Internet Explorer 4.0
This article was previously published under Q174431
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
If you remove Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 from a computer on whichMicrosoft Office 97 is installed, the following problems may occur when yourun the programs included in Microsoft Office 97:
- When you attempt to insert a hyperlink in Microsoft Excel 97, Microsoft Word 97, or Microsoft PowerPoint 97, the Insert Hyperlink dialog box does not appear, and you are unable to insert a hyperlink.
- In Microsoft Excel 97, when you open a workbook that contains a hyperlink, you receive the following error message:File error: data may have been lost.The hyperlink does not work when you click it.
- In Microsoft Word 97, when you open a document that contains a hyperlink, the hyperlink does not work when you click it. Note that when this behavior occurs, you do not receive an error message.
- In Microsoft PowerPoint 97, the AutoContent Wizard does not work.
- The Internet icon may be missing from Control Panel.
These problems may occur when the following conditions are true:
- You install Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 on your computer BEFORE you install Microsoft Office 97.
- You then remove Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 from your computer.
To work around this problem, reinstall Microsoft Office 97. To do this,follow these steps:
- On the Start menu, point to Settings and click Control Panel. Then, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- In the list of installed programs, click Microsoft Office 97. Then, click Add/Remove.
- When the Microsoft Office 97 Setup dialog box appears, click Reinstall.
NOTE: If you used the Microsoft Office 97, Service Release 1 (SR-1) Patchto upgrade your version of Microsoft Office 97, you must reinstall thepatch so that the reinstalled Office files may be updated.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft productslisted at the beginning of this article. We are researching this problemand will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as itbecomes available.
When you install Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 on a computer, the Setupprogram creates a backup copy of any files that it replaces. If you removeMicrosoft Internet Explorer 4.0 from the computer, the backup copies of thefiles are automatically restored by the Setup program. This allows otherprograms to continue functioning correctly even if they use the same filesas Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0.
However, if you install Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 before you installMicrosoft Office 97, the Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 Setup program doesnot make backup copies of the files used by Microsoft Office 97. As aresult, if you remove Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 from the computer,the Setup program may remove files from the computer that are used by bothMicrosoft Office 97 and Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0.
Specifically, the following files are removed:
Asycfilt.dll Msencode.dll Comcat.dll T2embed.dll Hlink.dll Urlmon.dll Html32.cnv Vbscript.dll Inetcpl.cpl Wininet.dll Msconv97.dll
These files are installed and used by both Microsoft Office 97 andMicrosoft Internet Explorer, version 4.0.
OFF97 XL97 WD97 PP97 AC97 OL97 IE4 SR-1 SR1
Article ID: 174431 - Last Review: 10/07/2013 06:20:27 - Revision: 2.1
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 128-Bit Edition, Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 128-Bit Edition, Microsoft Office 97 Standard Edition, Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition, Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition, Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Standard Edition, Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition, Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinterop kbprb kbsetup KB174431