No "Starting Windows 98" Message at Startup
This article was previously published under Q178548
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you start Windows 98 you do not see a "Starting Windows 98" message,and you cannot tell when to press the CTRL key to display the Windows 98Startup menu.
The prompt has been removed to allow for a faster start of Windows 98.
To display the Startup menu, press and hold down the CTRL key when yourcomputer starts.
NOTE: If you press and hold down the CTRL key when your computer starts,you may receive a keyboard error message. If this occurs, you may safelyignore the keyboard error message.
This behavior is by design.
If you want the Windows 98 Startup menu to appear each time you start yourcomputer, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
- Click Advanced on the General tab, and then click the Enable Startup Menu check box to select it.
- Click OK, click OK, and then click Yes.
Article ID: 178548 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 08:15:15 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbprb kbui KB178548