Splits and dividends do not update automatically in MSN Money or in the Portfolio in Money
This article was previously published under Q178955
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
The MSN Money Investing automatic notification of splits or dividends is not activated in Portfolio Manager, although the security did have a split or a dividend.
Either the option is turned off in MSN Money, or MSN Money Investing has not yet received the notification from the historical data provider.
To confirm that the option has been activated, follow these steps:
- In the Other Tasks section of Portfolio Manager, click Change portfolio settings.
- Click to select the Notify me of dividends for my holdings check box.
MSN Money Investing does not always receive the information on the day after the split or the dividend. Therefore, if you have accessed MSN Money Investing on the day after the split or dividend, but MSN Money Investing had not yet received the details, MSN Money Investing assumes that it has already notified you about the split or the dividend when it finally does receive it.
If this issue occurs, and you do not receive the automatic notification because of a delay, you can still get MSN Money Investing to add it automatically by changing your system date to a date before the split or the dividend.
First, confirm that a historical record of the split or the dividend for that security exists. To do this, right-click the security's symbol in Portfolio Manager, and then click Historical Charts.
Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
To reset the system time, follow these steps:
- Double-click the time in the taskbar, and then change the date to some time before the split or the dividend.
- Access the Portfolio Manager page (to set the Last Accessed date to that past date).
- Change to another MSN Money Investing page to let the date to be written to the data file.
- Change your system date back to today, and then access the Portfolio Manager page.
- On the notification that appears, accept the splits or the dividends that you want to add, and then click to clear the ones that you do not want to add.
- In the Other Tasks section, click Record a Special Activity, and then click Record a Split.
- Enter a number for the split.
Note You must enter whole numbers for a split (for example, a 1.34 for 1 split would be entered as 134 for 100.
When we receive the information from our historical data provider on the day after the event, Historical Charts show the split "S" or dividend "D" on the chart for that investment, and you recieve a dialog box from MSN Money Investing in Portfolio Manager that prompts you to have MSN Money Investing add them.
For Dividends, our data source tells us on the day after the ex-dividend date. Portfolio Manager also uses the number of shares from the ex-date to compute the dividend.
For splits, our data source reports the split on the night that the split occurred. On the actual day of the split, certain calculations, such as Return (ROI), do not take the split in to account until the next day.
MoneyCentral investor CSI inv
Article ID: 178955 - Last Review: 02/24/2014 08:31:43 - Revision: 3.3
Microsoft Money 2007 Home & Business, Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe, Microsoft Money 2007 Premium, Microsoft Money 2006 Deluxe, Microsoft Money 2006 Premium, Microsoft Money 2006 Small Business, Microsoft Money 2006 Standard, Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe Edition, Microsoft Money 2005 Premium Edition, Microsoft Money 2005 Small Business Edition, Microsoft Money 2005 Standard Edition, Microsoft Money 2004 Deluxe Edition, Microsoft Money 2004 Premium Edition, Microsoft Money 2004 Small Business Edition, Microsoft Money 2004 Standard Edition, MSN Money, MSN Money Plus
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbmoneyinvest kbprb KB178955