OL98: (IMO) Compacting Outlook PST Files
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
NOTE: These procedures only apply if you have installed Outlook with the Internet Mail Only option. To determine your installation type, click About Microsoft Outlook on the Help menu. If you have the Internet Mail Only option installed, you see "Internet Mail Only".
For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
257824 OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express
This article describes how to compact the Personal Folders file(s) (PST) inMicrosoft Outlook, to eliminate deleted item space and recover room on yourhard disk.
To conserve space on your computer's hard disk, you can delete unwanteditems from the various PST folders and then compact the files to make themsmaller.
NOTE: Deleting the unwanted items from each folder only moves them to theDeleted Items folder, which is in the same file. You must delete the itemsfrom the Deleted Items folder to permanently delete them, so that Outlookcan compact the file.
The compacting process does not remove all the free space from the file.It leaves either 16 kilobytes (KB) or 4 percent of the file size (beforecompacting) whichever is greater.
To be compacted, a file must meet the following requirements:
- The file must be 16 KB or larger.
- The file must have at least 16 KB of space freed since the last time it was compacted.
Automatic Background CompactionPST files that are not on your computer may require manual compaction, dueto interactions between the computer where the PST files are stored andyour computer.
Automatic compaction takes place as an idle task in the background. Thefollowing conditions must be true for this background task to take place:
- Outlook must be running. -and-
- The computer must not be engaged in other CPU-intensive tasks such as copying or downloading files.
To Manually Start PST Compaction
- If the Folder List is not showing, click Folder List on the View menu.
- Right-click one of the Personal Folders.
- Click "Properties For Personal Folders."
- On the General tab, click Advanced, and then click Compact Now.
- Click OK twice.
shrink outlook.pst mailbox.pst
Article ID: 179870 - Last Review: 01/12/2015 15:58:48 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Outlook 98 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo KB179870